Monday, May 21, 2012

The Best of Penang Food (Part 1)

School's starting tomorrow! Sigh, 3 weeks of holiday flew by just like that! Ate a lot lot lot and am gonna suffer at training tomorrow ):


Anyway, during this term break, I went to Penang again with Edwin and ate more food! This time, we didn't really do much, just more eating and catching up with his friends. The previous trip had tons of beautiful pictures because of all the sightseeing. Anyway, forget about all the food reviews you see on TV regarding Penang food. You need a Penang-nite to know what's authentic and what's not, that's why I have my boyfriend. He is pretty much the food expert. Hmm, he can't cook hawker fare like char kway teow but he makes awesome western food and a bit of Japanese infusion kind of food.

So, here's what I think is the best of the best in Penang!

Mee Udang

Also known as Ayu's Mee Udang, it's certainly one of the best! I haven't tried other places but this certainly blows your tastebuds into smithereens. It's sweet, not spicy plus fresh and succulent prawns! The photos aren't that fantastic but I tried my best. Didn't bring my dad's Canon 7D, all I had was some pink point and shoot 5-megapixel camera...


This photo was taken from the previous trip, in the beginning of the year. I can't believe I've been to a country twice in a year already. The one before that was back in 2004, the tsunami year. Penang's a great place for great food! Come on down if you want your stomach to be properly fed! Hahaha, why am I promoting this island? Anyway...


The above photo was taken just recently, since I didn't like all that extra onions and stuff, I was smart this time round and remembered to ask for no onions and those green stuff. Slurp slurp slurp! I don't know when's the next time I'll be back in Penang so I savored the Mee Udang really slowly.


Look at the prawns! The huge prawn on the right was really gigantic. Seriously, the prawns in Singapore cannot be compared to these prawns at Ayu's Mee Udang. A pricey RM12 but it's really good food, the comfort-food kind and the size of the prawns makes up for it. The soup, needless to say, brings together the whole dish. It's tasty and you'll just wanna keep drinking it! It doesn't make it gelat or anything. Great stuff!

Bonus: Udang Fried Rice (I forgot what's this in Malay)


Since it's my 2nd time here and Edwin was a little hungry, he ordered this! Not bad, but I still prefer Mee Udang. This fried rice plus prawns cooked Malay style combination works! It's a bit close to the Nasi Lemak Goreng so it's tasty but since it's rice and not soup, you'll get stuffed easily and gelat. Huge prawns again, not like Singapore's cut-into-half, two 50cent sized kinda prawns.


Also a little bit pricey for the locals there, but for us Singaporeans, RM12=SGD4.97, so I guess we can't complain?

To get to Ayu's Mee Udang, here's the address and telephone number:

936B, Lengkok Kg. Masjid Satu 11920
Teluk Kumbar, Penang, Malaysia

Telephone Number: 046493881

I can't give you driving directions cause I'm not familiar with the roads in Penang. If you're in the Gurney or Georgetown area, it's quite a drive but it's all worth it! Yummy food! There's a lot of other Mee Udang in that area close to Ayu's so if you have tried it and whether it's good or not, do let me know!

No comments: